Sunday, August 12, 2007

Impulse Purchases

You know how sometimes, when you visit a yarn shop, yarn follows you home? Well, I had a similar experience at an outdoor art show yesterday.

It was Dave's birthday so we went to brunch. From there we walked to an annual event called Art on the Commons. It's a small show, but usually there are some really good pieces of art for sale. Our walls are pretty full. I really had no intention of buying anything. Really.

My first purchase was a handmade wood hair pin.

I think this will work nicely as a shawl pin.


Artists: Bill Schmidt and Diana Andra

Company: Turn of the Century


They also sell beautiful, handmade rosewood straight knitting needles in various sizes beginning with size US6. Prices range from $14 - $16 depending on needle length. Large needles (Metric sizes 13, 15, 16 & 17) sell for $16 - $18, depending on needle length. Other handmade items for sale include lace bobbins and crochet hooks.

As we wandered through the booths I stumbled on some fused glass sculptures. The artist is a regular at this art show, and I've always admired his art. Unlike some artists who do much the same thing over a long period of time, Terry's art changes every year. His medium is glass, usually colored, but lately he's expanded into metal. When I saw this menorah I. HAD. TO. HAVE. IT.


So it followed me home.

Artist: Terry Andrews

Company: Waters Edge Studios

No comments: