Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Bitten

I hate it when I see a big spider on the bathroom floor, and then I don’t. This one was big enough to hang a cowbell on – not that I would get that close. It was hard to keep one eye on the mirror while I applied my makeup and one eye on the floor to protect my feet. (I was wearing my brown wicker(ish) flip flops with kitten heels. I love those things.)

Teresa was right, I’ve been bitten. Not by the spider – by the sock bug. I haven’t even finished my first sock yet, but I’ve already bought yarn for another pair. Tuesday night was Knit Night at the Ball and Skein. Susan, the owner, called to say the Kaffe Fassett and Dream In Color sock yarn had just been delivered, so I jumped in the car and went over there. Wow. Talk about a hard decision. I finally settled on this skein of Dream In Color in the Deep Seaflower colorway.



I know I’m going to regret not buying a skein in the November Muse colorway, as well.

What with all of the boys’ comings and goings, I’m so glad I decided to try sock knitting. I did manage to knit one 8 row pattern repeat on the Alpine Shawl the other night, but I haven’t touched it since. Last night, at 10:00 p.m., when I was struggling to stay awake long enough to tink back the decreases of the instep on my first sock (the pattern said to decrease every 3rd row – NOT every row) the boys decided to make a run for milkshakes. I don’t even try to keep up with them anymore.

All too soon they’ll be gone – one back to college, the other to study abroad in Spain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That colorway is gorgeous! I am sure it will make beautiful socks.

I haven't knit socks yet--I'm kinda scared because everyone says it's so addicting! ;)