Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Back to the Classics

Knitpicks is having a big book sale. They've marked 40% off all books in stock through Friday, and they’ve got some amazing deals. I took advantage of this opportunity to pick up some classics. These are books that I’ve borrowed from Teresa or the library multiple times. I borrow patterns/books whenever possible to save my money for yarn, but I’ve really wanted to have my own copies of these for a long time.






The Purl Stitch by Sally Melville has some really cute patterns. It has lots of basic information about techniques, too. I’ve made blankets, pullovers, cardis, shawls, and a hat, but believe it or not I’ve never knitted socks or mittens. The Purl Stitch includes some basic patterns – perfect for a knitter’s first attempts at either.







Scarf Style by Pam Allen has some really creative scarves. I’ve made a couple of Ene’s Scarves (shawls), but there are many other eye-catching patterns I’ve been wanting to make.




Finally, I’ve had my eye on a number of patterns in Folk Shawls by Cheryl Oberle for some time. This past winter I began to obsess over the Wool Peddler’s Shawl. During the winter my neck and back get cold when I sit on the sofa under our big front window. The WPS would be perfect for snuggling up there to knit and watch TV when it’s really cold out. Another must-have for winter is the Aran Pocket Shawl. I probably won’t start anything that heavy until the weather gets cold, though.

The arrival of these books has been a pleasant diversion because the Alpine Shawl was giving me fits last night. I kept dropping stitches and had to rip back to the lifeline twice before I was able to get into a rhythm. Some nights are like that, I guess.

No comments: