Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Susan's Lacy Tank - FO & A New Project

Again, here is the inspiration for the lacy tank. This pattern was published in the Spring/Summer 2004 issue of Vogue



The pattern called for Microspun yarn. In my first version, I modified the pattern but used Microspun. I think the reason it looks longer in back is that the "crochet stitch" that makes up the lacy bottom called for a multiple of 4 stitches plus 2 stitches. Instead, I cast on a multiple of 4 stitches plus 4 stitches. That meant the holes for the laces on the edges of the front and back weren't even. (The problem is exaggerated by the way I'm standing in this pic, though.)




This is my latest FO. It's the same lacy tank using a multiple of 4 stitches plus 2 stitches for the crochet stitch lacy bottom part. I'm really happy with it. The details are below:




Pattern: "Lace-Up Tank"
Source: Vogue, Spring/Summer 2004 (pg. 82)
Yarn: Elann.com Callista
Colorway: Boysenberry


Comments:
I was looking for a light and airy top to wear sailing. This fits the bill nicely. It definitely "breathes." It's almost like not wearing anything. The rayon in the Callista can fray, and the yarn can be a little splitty, so it's important to pay attention while knitting. If I made this again (and I might), I would make it about 3/4 of an inch narrower on each side. It's just a tad too big.


Below is a variation on the same theme using the Elann.com Callista in the Moroccan Blue colorway. Nancy suggested I make a top I can wear to work, and I took her advice. This time I'm using the "crochet stitch" to make a 2 inch hem. One of the nice things about the crochet stitch is that it lies flat. The upper part of the lacy tank is made with what the pattern calls "bodice stitch." For this top, I'm making the rest of the tank using the bodice stitch. The fabric is still light and airy, but I'll be able to wear this one more places. I made this one 3/4 of an inch narrower on each side.



To continue the "Variations on a Theme" theme, I'm considering whether to make a swimsuit coverup using the Callista and the crochet stitch. I'm not sure what the pattern would look like, though. Again, I'm open to suggestions.


No comments: