Monday, June 25, 2007

Lesson Learned

To continue the saga of the linen jacket... In yesterday's episode I completed the first front panel, then discovered the seed stitch hem was noticeably narrower than the seed stitch center border.

Yesterday, after consideration of several options, I decided to pick out the cast on and knit the hem down to make it long enough to match the center border. (Experienced knitters may see disaster looming here.) This is where I learned an important lesson: seed stitch - at least the way I knit it - is interlocking. Once you pick out the cast on, you will NOT be able to pull the stitches out by tugging the yarn. After several unsuccessful attempts to pick up stitches, I consulted Teresa, who gently gave me the bad news. I wasn't going to be able to pick up stitches to knit down, and I couldn't repair the cast on either. Bummer.

The front panel I spent all day knitting on Sunday is ruined.

Last night I faced the music and cast on another front panel. I did not have the heart to rip back the original. That will come in time.

1 comment:

Robin said...

OUCH! Good Luck!