Monday, January 7, 2008

Spinning My Wheels

My knitting is going nowhere fast. Friday night I got stuck in traffic on the highway for over an hour. By the time I got home I was too tired to knit.

Saturday I finished the Sapphire blue Japanese Vines scarf.





Don't let the photo fool you. I still haven't woven in ends.

Then I picked up the Dream In Color sock I started on the cruise (second week of December).



Shortly thereafter I finally admitted to myself that I don't like knitting socks with 2 circs, and that sock is never going to get finished if I don't start over on DPNs.

I didn't want to act too hastily, so I put the DIC sock aside and cast on a sock with some Socks That Rock light weight yarn. When I knit a sock with DIC, I use size 0 DPNs and cast on 52 stitches. After a false start with the STR I found that with size 0 DPNs a cast on of 48 stitches does the trick.



So I knit merrily along until I became unhappy with the pooling. I'm not sure whether you can see it in these photos, but all of the light blue appears on only 1 side of the sock.




And all of the green appears on the other side of the sock. So, 1 side looks light, and the other looks dark. The pooling if very apparent.



In desperation I pulled the yarn from the center of the cake and knitted alternating rows from the opposite ends of the yarn. This added some light blue to the other side of the sock farther down (here down is up - near the needles, because I started at the cuff), but the pooling is still a problem.

Last night I put that sock aside and cast on another Japanese Vines scarf (my current default project) once again using Cherry Tree Hill SuperSock Solids, this time in the Tangerine colorway.




It's pretty sad when one can't count on socks as a default knitting project.

No comments: