Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Got Gauge? Forget About It!

I lost my head and ordered piles and piles of Pakucho in several shades from Elann.com. So this weekend I swatched. And swatched. And swatched. Then I cast on, and none of my swatches matched the garment I was aiming for.

Eventually I took a chance and proceeded to design a tank top on the needles. I've always admired the Ardee Shell from Maggie's Ireland, but I'm not crazy about the high neckline.



So I altered the design slightly and came up with the following back panel.



Maggie Jackson's pattern calls for the same size needles and the same number of stitches for the seed stitch hem and the stockinette body of the shell. I was dubious, but since I was tired of swatching, I decided to take it on faith that this would work. The jury's still out on that one. We'll have to see what happens after blocking.

I'm also a little concerned about the straight horizontal neckline. The yarn is 100% cotton so it's not as springy as wool. It may gap. Time will tell.